Monday, April 16, 2007

Handsome Triangle Progress

Here is a picture of my handsome triangle shawl in Kidsilk Haze. Progress was slow since I stopped to work on something else, but it is back in action now. This is a picture of it after row 80. Sorry the detail is bad - I didn't have anything dark to photograph it against. But you can start to see some patterning happening.

Question though. What method are you all using for joining a new ball of yarn? The project is so lacy that you could see weaved in ends- or they could fall out? This is my first kidsilk project so I just wasn't sure the best way to go about it - any suggestions would be appreciated!



4 comments:

Hanne-Maria Leppäranta said...

You could use spit and splice-method. If you are not familiar with the technique, here is an explanation: http://www.sheeweknits.com/t_t.htm The join will look a bit thick but it won't show in the finished work.

Cynder said...

My favorite way to join two balls of lace weight is to knit about 10 stitches with both the old ball and the new ball. The KSH is grabby enough that the yarn won't pull out.

kathy in Juneau said...

You could also do a "russian join." I was terrified of this technique, until I finally did it when working on a shawl out of Jaggerspun Zephyr. It worked beautifully and my fear that it would not be strong enough was unfounded.

Good instructions here:
http://www.geocities.com/mama_bear_007/Russian_Join.html

Good luck!

Stitchcounter said...

I a method that I thought was called a Russian join but is not exactly like what Kathy in Juneau pointed out. You can see the quick tutorial here: http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/02/yeah.html (scroll to where she talks about joining non-wool yarns). It has always worked for me.