Monday, March 5, 2007

Scarf w/No. 20 Edging - another FO


It must be a good day for this pattern! This is the "Scarf with the No. 20 edging from The Knitted Lace Pattern Book, 1850" on page 84. I just love how it came out - it's light and soft and gorgeous. The pattern wasn't even all that difficult for someone who's fairly new to lace, once I got over my problem of dropping stitches (I think I was mistaking "fuzz" for "yarn").

Thanks to Lori and Brenda who helped me out with the "pick up" or "pick up and knit" question!

One thing to note - I'm not sure if I misread the instructions or if there's an error (most likely it's me), but when it came time to cast on stitches for the second border, I was clearly on the "wrong side" of the scarf. I ended up ripping back one row so that I was at the other end. If you make this scarf, you should be ready to start your cast-on for the second border at the opposite end of the scarf from the end you started on, as shown in the diagrams on the page.

Knitted with Rowan Kidsilk Haze (color "Khaki") on 4.5mm/US 7 needles, using about 2-1/4 balls of yarn. See more details at my blog.

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

This is another pretty color for the shawl! You did an excellent job on it. Knitting fuzz instead of yarn was my problem in a few spots ... and two of them didn't show up until I blocked it! I hope yous weren't so secretive. I gave the shawl to a friend, and had to snatch it back a few minutes later when I saw another stitch that had let go from the fuzz. Oops!

Laura said...

Congratulations on your finish. Gorgeous edging. I'd never have thought of using that color for a shawl, but it's stunning.

Jeannie said...

Very pretty!!! I like this color too.

Artis-Anne said...

Congratulations on making a truly lovely shawl I like the colour too

cindi said...

That turned out really pretty! I'll have to ad this to my to do list (which just keeps growing and growing!). I think you'll get a lot of wear out of your shawl; it's such a versatile color.